Machines that induce nerve stimulation have been used for many years, and there is evidence that they can effectively treat pain. The use of a tens machine does not involve any needles or medications, so it is suitable for people who do not want to be given drugs or who cannot tolerate them due to allergies or other issues.
Tens devices are used to help with many kinds of pain.
TENS is transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, and this machine delivers mild electrical impulses through its pads to stimulate the nerves.
TENS devices are a safe and effective way to manage pain that is caused by conditions such as
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Chronic headaches/migraines
Acute Pain – Post-op treatment
A tens machine can be used to treat post-operative pain. The device is placed on the area of your body that is experiencing pain, and when turned on, it sends electrical impulses to the nerves in your skin, causing them to react with a tingling sensation that distracts you from the pain.
If you are using this for acute pain relief after surgery, there are certain things you should keep in mind:
- Use as directed by your doctor or therapist.
- Follow all instructions for setting up and using the device before use. Some machines have specific instructions regarding the placement of electrodes and how many pads should be used per application.
- Apply them directly over the painful area for maximum effectiveness; do not apply too many at once because this could cause discomfort instead of relieving it! If using more than one pad causes pain, then reduce usage until comfort returns before increasing again incrementally every time until full coverage is achieved, at which point maximum effectiveness will be fulfilled without any adverse side effects occurring due to excessive contact points being activated simultaneously (which could happen if too many were used).
- Using it for more than 20 minutes per session may cause overheating or irritation. So always check the temperature first before applying continuously over long periods during any given day’s activities because if temperatures rise too high, then the damage could occur during prolonged exposure periods where excessive heat buildup would generally lead someone else might get burned badly enough even though they may not feel anything happening right away due.
TENS is an effective treatment for osteoarthritis pain. The TENS unit delivers low-voltage electrical currents to the skin, which interrupts the pain signals and helps manage pain.
You can use TENS to relieve pain in the joints of your knees, hips, or hands. You can also use it to relieve spine pain.
Neuropathic pain is a type of chronic pain that affects the nerves and can be caused by damage to the nervous system. It can result from diabetes, HIV/AIDS, cancer, and other illnesses or injuries. Neuropathic pain is not always easy to treat because it has different causes and therefore requires a different approach to treatment.
The most common form of neuropathic pain is diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN), which occurs when nerve endings in your body are damaged due to poor blood glucose control over time.
Treatment options for DPN include medications such as gabapentin, opioids, and tricyclic antidepressants; non-pharmaceutical solutions like acupuncture; physical therapy; and lifestyle changes such as regular exercise or reducing stress levels. TENS devices can also be used to alleviate the pain, but it has to be used under the instructions of a doctor.
TENS devices are used to treat pain and can be effective in many situations. For example, if you have a broken arm or torn ligament, this machine may help to reduce your pain while it heals. A tens machine can also be used during labour to help women through the process of giving birth.
The machine can be used to help with the pain of arthritis, joint pain, and muscle pain. If you suffer from back pain, it is thought that this machine can also help.