Have you ever wondered which is the best wood-like floor? Although some materials imitate this material perfectly, such as ceramics and vinyl floors, wood-type porcelain tile is the most popular alternative, and here we explain why.
Porcelain tile is a highly resistant material that is easy to install and maintain. For this reason, the wood-type porcelain floor has become a more practical alternative among those who seek the natural finish of wood without the complications that the care of this material requires.
So that you can make the best purchase decision for your wall and floor coverings, we will tell you the primary aspects that you should know about wood-type porcelain tiles, and, thus, you will see if it is the ideal type of floor for your project. So let’s get started!
What is wood-type porcelain?
Wood-type porcelain tile is a ceramic coating that, in its style, imitates the grain, texture and general appearance of natural wood. It is usually used to create visually friendly environments, with the advantage that it is more resistant and does not require specialized care like raw material.
Although visually, the finish is similar to that of natural wood, you must bear in mind that porcelain tile is a material that is cold to the touch. Even so, visually, they bring warmth to the space and, in addition, they offer a wide range of finishes that combine with any interior design.
What are the characteristics of wood-type porcelain?
Porcelain tile is a type of tile made from clay. The porcelain mass is fired at high pressures and temperatures (between 1,150 and 1,250° C) for 20 or 30 minutes. This manufacturing process is what gives wood-type porcelain tiles the following characteristics:
- Due to its low porosity, it has a water absorption percentage of 0.5% or less. This makes it the clay tile that is more resistant to moisture than ceramic and porcelain stoneware, ideal for installing bathroom remodelling or kitchen floors.
- Due to its hardness, it is resistant to abrasion, wear and traction. For this reason, it is usually used in areas with intensive use, such as corridors, living rooms or commercial premises.
- It has a smooth and enamelled finish , which facilitates cleaning and prevents the absorption of liquids spilt on the surface.
- It comes in different designs and styles, and wood-like porcelain imitates the texture of natural material.
- It is also resistant to extreme hot and cold temperatures and can be used as interior and exterior cladding.
Keep in mind that its installation must be carried out by qualified personnel. The pieces can only be cut with diamond discs, and, for them to adhere to the surface, special mortars (glues) are needed.
Five reasons to use wood-like porcelain tiles in your home
- They are one of the most resistant coatings on the market
Like any porcelain tile, the main advantage of imitation wood porcelain tile is its durability.
This is a practically waterproof material; it resists water, humidity, abrasion, scratches and bumps. In addition, it withstands temperature changes very well, it is antibacterial, and you will get non-slip versions.
When making the purchase, do not forget to ask your advisor for the PEI scale of the porcelain tile, as this will give you a more precise idea of the resistance depending on the type of traffic the space must withstand.
- Its care is easier and faster compared to natural wood
Unlike natural wood, wood-like porcelain tile does not need polishing or waxing and does not discolour or age over time.
How to clean the wood-type porcelain floor? For daily cleaning, you can sweep it to remove dust and scrub it with a mop moistened with water and ordinary detergent.
If you need to remove a stain, you can use any cleaning product. The key is to remove the spill quickly to prevent permanent floor staining.
3.The variety of designs is wide
Another advantage of this coating is its wide variety of designs. In our stores, you will find different wood-like porcelain tiles that change in formats, colours and finishes. Among the comprehensive catalogue, you will find one you will fall in love with!
- In terms of formats, there are options of 20×60 cm, 20×90 cm, 20×120 cm and even a 60×60 square design.
- You find beige, brown or grey tones in colours, but you will have no problem combining them with any style.
- They can be installed in any space in the house
Being one of the most resistant coatings, it does not have problems with the high traffic of people, humid environments or with changes in climate or temperature. For example, you can install it in interior spaces such as bathrooms, kitchens, living rooms and dining rooms, or use wood-type porcelain tiles for exteriors such as garages, patios or terraces.
In addition to elevating your environment aesthetically, with wood-type porcelain, you will have a coating that can be used equally on floors or walls. They will last you for years!
- Wood-like porcelain tile finishes are increasingly realistic
With the progress in printing and stamping techniques, there is a very marked shade variation between the pieces in the new wood-type porcelain tiles. This helps to deepen the wood-like effect even more since no part looks like the others, giving a very natural finish.
Thanks to the subtle differences in the colour, tone, pattern of the veins or the pickled finish of the pieces, the imitation wood porcelain almost perfectly resembles any wood such as oak, mahogany, pine or cherry.